Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

This movie was full of HOPE

I'm inspired. Just warm with "Why not?"

I just watched We Bought a Zoo with Matt Damon. And, I expected a sappy love story or a hero saving the world in two hours and a quiet ending.

But, it was far more. It was Good Will Hunting the family version all over again. The characters in the film were flawed, real.  Staggering and full of risk, the film's rant was "Why not? and "You only need 20 seconds of bravery."

The man, after losing his wife, finds himself again in risking everything he has and more. What's more he's never guaranteed to win, but he doesn't look at it like that. He moves forward one step at a time, only knowing that the "zoo" makes his daughter smile.

Twisted and forlorn, he saves a zoo full of endangered species. He's far from perfect. He's scared. Everyone says he won't make it. Yet, miracles keep happening. He hears an encouraging word from a Home Depot employee. He finds hope in a tiger's smile. He finds answers inside of a pocket.

The movie is edited to give you extra seconds of close ups. We see the wrinkles around Damon's face. We see his tears. We see the grit.

No moment is rushed. Though, I had to say the snakes could have been rushed away sooner. I had my head down for that one.

I liked how the wife was a central character in the film. I like how memories and pain are central, yet building motivators for new life. In the bad, there can be good. When there is loss, you can keep that  hope close to heart. It's a new viewpoint on grim facts.

I like that he went away, left it all and found a home inside stranger's hearts. He knew nothing. I want to be like that.

I want to be that person that takes more risks. The person that remembers what's important.  Someone that follows her heart when life's daggers toss you doubt. Someone that takes a leap of faith when there's no net in sight- - yet.

A person that learns when it's okay to let go, unselfishly. A person that sees the adventure  in life- -perhaps even if that's just surviving a trip to Wal-mart with three crazy kids. A person that doesn't back down when a lion roars, or when I land in a pile of stickers.

Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment