Total Pageviews

Friday, June 1, 2012

Kind Word Goes Viral

The other day at Mikey's field day I recognized a cheerful-midsized family man. He smiled at me and I scratched my head.

He went behind my line to help with Bingo. Then, a moment later, I remembered who he was. He was the washer repair man! We've had to call him two or three times.

Our red GE front loaders (all the rage) haven't been what I thought they'd be. Did you know you can't load comforters or large blankets in them? They are not full-capacity washers. And, if you are not careful, the washer will sound like a helicopter in your living room and the kids will be running for the hills.

He came last time and showed me that the spring had broken and the washer was actually hanging. He said this is usually a "two-man" job to fix cheerfully as he laughed at the damage one hand-made wool blanket had done to the powerful machine.

He showed me the strong spring about a third of the size of a garage door spring. I had made a difference (like when I pulled the wrong show for Fox Sports and 3.5 million people saw the wrong show).

He fixes the machine. It's about a $300 repair, I think. It's a mess. The washer/dryer cost about $3, 000 - -a gift from my mom three years ago. I wonder if it would have been less painful if they were blue instead of fire engine red.

While he's working Noah is loving him. He sits at his feet. Watches him. Talks to him. Experiments with his tools. The repairman talks about his wife, her desire to move to old country like Lake Jackson. He is considerate too.

I pay the bill and he leaves. Then about a week later, I receive a chance to review the man in my email. I call the company and give him a rave review. I say cheerfully (genuinely impressed with his routine customer service. He's 8 times better than the cable guy, 20 times better than the refrigerator repair guy) "He's the kindof man that the kids love and I feel safe to have him in my house with my kids. He's cheerful. He's helpful. He's respectful and considerate." Something to that effect. I know it was heart-felt.

A year later, her finds me at the school. As I am leaving, he asks, "Do you know who I am?" I said, "Yes, you are the washer guy!" He said, "I wanted to thank you for your kind review." I say, "It was nothing." He said, "Let me tell you what happened. The big boss called me into his office. He had me listen to the review and he played it at the corporate office. And they asked what I did so they could make those types of improvements to the company and all customer service. I told them 'I just try to treat others how I would want to be treated.' "

It was a cool moment. I smiled and said, "Well a kind word is never wasted." I laughed and said cheerfully, "I hope I don't have to call you soon. " He smiled and waved good-bye.

I love it when a kind word changes a day

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!! You never know who needs cheering up, a hug, or a kind word.
    He may have received a raise or bonus too, which could've bought a little something special for his family.
    Pay it forward.
    A :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That is one of the best stories I have ever heard! I'm so glad it happened and you got to hear 'the rest of the story' :D

    ReplyDelete